On Monday 07 January 2008 13:51:27 Dirk Mueller wrote:
> anyone want to start the lead on 4.1 planning? I would like to align with
> the timebased schedule, which means a release around September. I think
> something around April would be rather short, but I'm open to suggestions.
> It is unclear to me how the plasma mes^h^h^hproject is planning to advance.

Thanks for bringing it up. Trying to untangle two things here: timeframe for
4.1 and the release frequency.

Why do you think April is rather short? (I do agree, although I think
September is rather late ...). It also depends where we draw
the "feature-but-not-a-bugfix-line". How about a 4.1 in June?

I'm too very much in favour of a time-based schedule, as I wrote in an earlier
email. For the release frequency, we have basically two options (at least
those seem to be left after the previous discussion):

- Release 6-monthly, that would align us with downstream (distros)
- Release 9-monthly, that would align us with upstream (Qt at least, not sure
  about X, and its relevance in this context)

I'm slightly leaning towards 6 months, hoping that this would give us back
some traction with 'larger' distros which we seem to be losing lately.

As to plasma, it's possible to ship updated applets from extragear-plasma, but
I'm not sure how this would work for kdebase plasma applets. Having a
configurable / movable panel before the Summer or September would be nice in
any case ;-)
--
sebas