On Jan 8, 2008, at 4:34 AM, Dirk Mueller wrote:

On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Matt Rogers wrote:

Not perfect, but it's a start. Comments?

I miss the following information:

a) Why was July chosen? Was it because it is 4.0 + 6months? So if it is "old
release + 6months", then we go back to the idea of aligning with
distributions. Proposing a 6 month cycle, but aligning it to the 4.0 date which was decided by a release event plan is not a good choice imho. Note
that I do principally like the 6 month cycle.

Kinda arbitrary. It's based on people wanting a 6 month release cycle combined with where my finger happened to land on the calender when i closed my eyes and pointed to a month.

b) 3 weeks between beta1 and RC1 means that we can not squeeze in another beta
without delaying the schedule. What was the intent of that proposal?

To get to the RC cycle faster so that more people actually test things.

as a rough approximation: we can do release candidates roughly weekly. We can
do beta's roughly every 3-4 weeks.

Why do betas take longer than release candidates? I would think it's the other way around.

Matt