Hi,

Am 17.05.23 um 00:02 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
kio-extras provides plugins for kio.

So KF5 applications want a KF5 kio-extras and KF6 applications want a KF6 kio-
extras.
This is also the case in more places, e.g. Breeze/Oxygen and
plasma-integration, so having a unified approach would make sense.
If we're going to support a period on which we ship both Kf5 and KF6 based
applications we need to:

Make sure kf5 and kf6 are coinstallable.

a) release two tarballs, one for each KF

In some cases, where there is a large enough divergence between the 5
and 6 code we might want to have separate branches to maintain those
(e.g. master is Qt6 and we have a qt5-compat branch).

Having separate branches would imply separate tarballs.

How would this work with version numbers and tags? We'd have something
like v23.08.0-qt5 and v23.08.0-qt6?

b) release one tarball that compiles both for kf5 and kf6
This would be my preferred approach for things with little divergence
between 5 and 6, i.e. not enough divergence to justify a separate branch.
c) just release the kf6 tarball, stop releasing the kf5 tarball but ask
distributions to still install it

You mean installing the last KF5-based release? How well this works
would depend on the amount of non-bugfix work we want to put into the
Qt5 variant.

For Breeze in particular this could mean that the appearance of Qt5 and
Qt6 apps could get out of sync.

What's everyone's preference?

Cheers,
   Albert