Marci:  I did not say that all statute-specific accommodations are unconstitutional.  Far from it.  I think, for instance, that the title VII exemption at issue in Amos is constitutional (at least as applied to nonprofit employers), as are the peyote exemptions, as is the post-Goldman military accommodation, etc.  And I think some accommodations are unconstitutional, such as those at issue in Zorach, Texas Monthly, CHILD, and Thornton v. Caldor.  Those that do not, in my view, pass muster are, e.g., those that do not alleviate significant, government-imposed burdens on religious exercise, those that do impose significant burdens on other private parties, those that violate the Free Speech Clause, and those that are a form of sect-discrimination.  RFRA and RLUIPA do not share these faults, and they have the added virtue of ensuring that the legislature treats all comparable burdens on religious liberty with equal regard (thereby addressing, e.g., Souter's concern in Kiryas Joel).

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 4:52 PM
Subject: Re: Potentially Important California State Case

In a message dated 3/1/2004 4:32:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

The case demonstrates, in my view, why an across-the-board standard for exemptions -- such as those codified in federal and state RFRAs -- is preferable to a series of stand-alone, statute-by-statute legislative exemptions.

So, Marty, would you say that the peyote exemptions cited with approval in Smith are unconstitutional, while the acros-the-board exemptions are not?  I'm just wondering if you can provide an example of an exemption that you think should not pass muster?

Marci