Given the ideologically diverse make-up of the majority in Locke v. Davey, I am leery of reaching large conclusions about the supposed meaning of a case that is factually inapposite.  And I still don’t understand why the one paragraph that addresses Lukumi (I think that there was just one) has the meaning that you ascribe to it.  Your reading requires a kind of agreement among the seven justices that strikes me as very unlikely.  It is easier, again, just to say that on the facts, Lukumi is inapposite, because that is clearly true, and all seven could easily agree on that narrow point.  And there still remains the little matter of the Scalia-Rehnquist dissent in Lukumi.  What I don’t understand is why the moderates would agree to cutting back Lukumi, when they don’t like Smith!

(Recall, also, that moderates can speak up when the conservative author of an opinion goes a bit too far, as was the case in Grutter.  We don’t hear a peep from the moderates in Locke.  I think that that is an important consideration in trying to make sense of Rehnquist’s opinion.)

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent
:
Monday, March 01, 2004 4:56 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Locke v. Davey and expanded free exercise rights

Had O'Connor written the opinion, I would have agreed with you, because she looks at cases case-by-case.  But that is not the Chief's style.  He has laid out those instances in which strict scrutiny applies, and all the examples he gives, he gives under the heading of hostility/animus.  He is very careful in the way he structures paragraphs, points, etc., and the way he has grouped his discussion points points strongly to a general rule that the free exercise clause does not trigger strict scrutiny unless there is some animus (he is interpreting Sherbert as animus, because there were exemptions for secular reasons, but specifically not for religious reasons).  This is so consistent with Smith and Boerne, I don't think one is overreading it to say that the possible interpretations of Lukumi have been reduced.  Of course, he is distinguishing Lukumi as well.

Marci

Maybe all that the Court did was to distinguish Lukumi on its facts with far fewer doctrinal consequences than would follow from “limiting” Lukumi.  The cases are so different, in terms of their facts, that I think that “distinguishing” rather than “limiting” is what happened.