Mark: I have been following this issue fairly closely,
but I don't recall any opinions involving
individualized exemption processes that were "openly
critical" of that doctrine. The Newark police case was
decided under the normal non-generally applicable rule
of Lukumi, not under Sherbert and the "individualized
exemption process" doctrine. Which circuit court cases
did you have in mind?

By the way, I think Sherbert is now best understood as
a categorical rule of non-general-applicability--when
government has in place a subjective "individualized
process" for determining "good cause" or "hardship"
exemptions from some requirement, per se the
requirement is not generally applicable and strict
scrutiny applies when a religious claimant is denied a
"good cause" or "hardship" exemption.

Thus, although the normal test for general
applicability turns on substantial underinclusion
under Lukumi, when government has in place a
subjective, ad hoc, "individualized" process for
evaluating a claimant's reasons for requesting an
exemption or waiver or opt-out, strict scrutiny is
triggered when the government decides that religious
reasons are insufficient.

Rick Duncan

=====