Not exactly - it is a misdemeanor charge - I assume it is something like a law that makes it a misdemeanor to perform marriage without a license - there are lots of such minor crimes around. Though here the crime would be a licensed person performing an illegal marriage - like between 12 years olds. Many statutes granting licenses to various professionals include as a matter of course, it seems, criminal sanctions for violating the terms of the license.

The specific crime is not reported in the Washington Post article - but it is not a license revocation proceding. It is a criminal action punishable by up to year in jail.

Steve