I don't think the ACLU argument in Hurley is either bizarre or the product
of interest group politics.  A good amicus brief should assist the Court
irrespective of whether it supports a party. Though the ACLU, like other
organizations, often agrees with one party or another, and signals that
agreement by filing an amicus in support of one or the other party, from
time to time it will file an amicus in support of neither party that seeks
to elaborate sound constitutional doctrine; in essence, if not in form,
its client is the bill of rights.

Individual litigants sometimes do not make every argument a court ought to
consider in a particular case; when that case involves only private
interests, the consequences rightly fall on the ligitant who fails to
advance an argument.  But when the case involves public interests, and
particularly when it is before a court whose judgment is likely to
influence if not control a broad range of cases, relying exclusively on
individual litigants to present arguments risks warping constitutional
doctrine.

Courts review judgments, not reasoning; if the judgment of the New Jersey
court had been correct on the record before it, the Court was obliged to
affirm even if the reasoning of the New Jersey Supreme Court was entirely
flawed.  To the extent that the New Jersey judgment might have been
correct if the record evidence of state action were sufficient to make the
parade government speech, then there is nothing unprincipled in the
suggestion that the Court, or a lower court, ought to consider that
possibility.

The ACLU makes occasional missteps, but I don't see evidence of that in
its position in Hurley.

Michael R. Masinter                     3305 College Avenue
Nova Southeastern University            Fort Lauderdale, Fl. 33314
Shepard Broad Law Center                (954) 262-6151
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                       Chair, ACLU of Florida Legal Panel