On Thursday, May 27, 2004, at 10:49 AM, Rick Duncan wrote:

I think the point is that from an economic perspective, there is little or no difference between a targeted $1,000 tax and a targeted exclusion from a generally available $1,000 benefit.

One difference in practice would be that all the targets get hit with the tax whereas only a few would take advantage of the benefit.

Another is forcing someone to do something (pay tax) versus allowing someone to choose something.

There are real differences both economic and otherwise.

--
Prof. Steven D. Jamar                               vox:  202-806-8017
Howard University School of Law                     fax:  202-806-8567

"It is by education I learn to do by choice, what other men do by the constraint of fear."

Aristotle