No doubt persuaded by the discussion on this list....
Marc

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 10:34 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: "Parks will not block baptism"

From:    Volokh, Eugene  To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<http://mail2.law.ucla.edu/exchweb/img/prev-paperclip.gif>
Subject:         FW: park will allow baptism     Cc:
Parks will not block baptism

Church will be allowed to baptize member at Falmouth Waterfront Park on
SundayBy MICHAEL ZITZ
<http://www.fredericksburg.com/Feedback/emailreporter?User=mzitz&headline=Pa
rks%20will%20not%20block%20baptism> Date published: 6/3/2004 River use still
discouraged Fredericksburg-Stafford Park Authority officials say they won't
interfere with the baptism of a mentally retarded man at Falmouth Waterfront
Park planned for Sunday afternoon.

A bit of a national media flap arose after a dozen members of Cornerstone
Baptist Church near Berea were baptized May 23 in the Rappahannock River as
50 congregation members looked on.

Park officials admonished Cornerstone's pastor, the Rev. Todd Pyle that day
and told him river baptisms violated the Park Authority's unwritten policy.
. . .

Park Manager Brian Robinson said yesterday that the situation has been
twisted almost beyond recognition.

There is no park policy against religious activities, he said--merely a
requirement that large groups of any kind get permits to use the park in
advance.

Robinson has said churches and other groups typically rent space in shelters
in the parks the authority oversees. The controversy grew after he said use
of common areas of the park for religious events isn't allowed so that
others are "forced to endure someone else's religion."

The Rev. John H. Reid, pastor of the New Generation Evangelical Episcopal
Church, said yesterday that he has baptized 40 people at the Waterfront Park
over the past six years and has no plans to ask for a permit.

Reid said that in addition to the man who will be baptized Sunday, there
will probably be only 10 to 20 church members observing the sacrament. . . .

"We've never had a big crowd [at a baptism]," Reid said.

"And that's why they've never had any problem," Robinson said. "We wouldn't
have an issue with that and wouldn't have a conversation with them."

Robinson said that if Cornerstone Baptist Church were to bring another large
group in for baptisms--and it requested a permit--there would be no problem.

But, he also said that because of the danger in the river, the Park
Authority would not formally sanction the baptisms and would want to have
personnel on hand in case something went wrong.

"We don't own the river and we can't prohibit it," Robinson said. . . .

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2004/062004/06032004/1385680
<http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2004/062004/06032004/1385680>