Mr. Summerlin's statistical arumement is interesting. Remove the word "heterosexual" from it and it makes great sense. *Married* people live longer, have greater life satisfaction, etc.

Summerlin seems to be arguing that only "heterosexuals" benefit from marriage, but of course we have not statistics on gay marriage because up until now it is illegal. Thus, this "social research" on marriage is a strong argument for allowing gay marriage because it will lead to healthier people because they are married. Furthermore, it illustrates the equal protection aguement. Most gay people cannot marry members of the opposite sex. After all, the marriage would not work, since physical attraction and sexual relations are, after all, an important part of marriage. Therefore, by denying gay people the *right* to marry you are in effect, as Summerlin's suggests, denying them the right to "live longer, express a higher degree of satisfaction with life, enjoy higher levels of physical and mental health, recover from illness quicker, earn and save more money, are more reliable employees, suffer less stress, and are less likely to become victims of any kind of violence."

Mr. Summerlin's posting, it seems to me, is the strongest argument I have heard on why allowing gay marriage is legally *and* morally right. Surely, no one on this list would aruge that we should deny the right to "live longer...." etc to people who are incapable of marrying member of the opposite sex.

Paul Finkelman

Gene Summerlin wrote:
Bob,

Your point is valid, so let me try to answer the question of why should the
government care?  If we separate the sacrimental value of marriage from the
legal aspects of marriage, we can agree that if a church or other entity
wishes to "marry" same sex partners, the church is free to do so.  But,
because the same sex marriage does not meet the legal definition of
marriage, the same-sex partners are not entitled to the legal benefits of
marriage.  The question really becomes why does/can/should the state provide
incentives to some couples to marry (in the legal sense) and withhold those
benefits from other couples?

Social research indicates that adults in heterosexual marriages do better
than single, divorced or cohabitating couples in virtually every measure of
well-being. Heterosexual married couples live longer, express a higher
degree of satisfaction with life, enjoy higher levels of physical and mental
health, recover from illness quicker, earn and save more money, are more
reliable employees, suffer less stress, and are less likely to become
victims of any kind of violence. As mentioned in an earlier post, children
residing in intact heterosexual marriages also gain a number of advantages
over peers in other living arrangements.  On the other side of the coin,
there is a significant social cost to care for and treat the problems
associated with broken marriages.  That is, to the extent that people and
children chose (or are forced) into non-heterosexual marriage living
arrangements, they are more likely to have health problems, economic
problems, abuse issues, etc.  Society ultimately pays a financial price to
treat and attempt to remedy these issues.

By enacting policies which promote heterosexual marriages, the state
preserves resources which would otherwise be spent on social welfare
programs.  Therefore, the state provides economic incentives to encourage
people to form the type of family unit that best utilizes the state's
resources.

Gene Summerlin Ogborn Summerlin & Ogborn P.C. 210 Windsor Place 330 So. 10th St. Lincoln, NE 68508 (402) 434-8040 (402) 434-8044 (FAX) (402) 730-5344 (Mobile) www.osolaw.com [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Robert Obrien Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 8:11 AM To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics Subject: Re: Religion Clauses question

I am at a loss to understand why the issue of marriage is such a big deal.

Protestants do not consider marriage a sacrament; therefore, whether people
get married is religiously irrelevant.

The Roman Catholic Church refuses to recognize divorces granted by the
state.  Judaism grants divorces which are not recognized by the state.

In fine, the distinction between civil marriage and religious marriage has
long been recognized.  If the state is willing to allow two or more people
to marry while a particular church refuses to recognize such a marriage, I
do not see why that church should care.

Bob O'Brien

Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor