I agree that there is more of an argument about Establishment Clause distortion with regard to lobbying on issues and legislation -- once we take candidate electioneering out of the mix. On the other hand, I think it is much less likely that clergy will be successfully challenged for speaking out on issues. Indeed, once we take candidate electioneering out of the picture, is it clear that any limit actually exists on what clergy may say about issues and legislation when they speak from the pulpit or write pastoral letters (assuming that the Pastor or Rabbi isn't turning a house of worship into the headquarters of an initiative campaign or lobbying effort -- and if they are going to engage in that kind of effort, why shouldn't they organize an affiliate to do so?) While this thread may have started with a post on issues and legislation, now that I think about it, it is not clear to me that this is a real problem for clergy as long as substantial resources are not being committed to a lobbying effort. And if the goal is to commit substantial resources to a lobbying effort or an initiative campaign, then the reason for not wanting to use an affiliate seems less persuasive to me.

I understand that some people may complain about a sermon discussing political issues or legislation. But do those complaints ever get anywhere? At least on the local level, I see clergy lobbying local decision-making bodies all the time.

I agree completely with Tom's last point (although I think speech regulations require a distinct approach). There are two religion clauses. They should not be interpreted in isolation from each other without regard to their impact on religion as a source of values and beliefs and as a cultural and political influence on society. Proponents of a rigorously enforced Establishment clause ought to recognize the limits placed on religion by this mandate and should support rigorous free exercise protection for religious institutions and practice. Similarly, proponents of a vigorously enforced free exercise jurisprudence should appreciate the advantages constitutional protection provides and accept Establishment Clause restrictions on the state promotion of religion. That's only part of the picture in interpreting the religion clauses, but it is certainly an important part.

Alan Brownstein
UC Davis