Assuming that the news reports of the President's plea to the Vatican are accurate, see, e.g., http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/week_2004_06_13.php#003064 (President allegedly asked for the Vatican's help in encouraging the U.S. bishops to be more outspoken "on the cultural front"), would that violate the Religion Clauses?  What if the President had expressly or implicitly urged the Vatican to "encourage" U.S. Bishops to deny communion to politicians who would not outlaw abortion?

P.S.  I am not asking whether the issue would not be justiciable -- of course it wouldn't be.  I'm asking whether such conduct would be appropriate for a President who took his constitutional obligations seriously.