I much appreciate the response, but I thought I might ask a
couple of follow-up questions.

        First, how would Chapter 11 law handle debtors who routinely
give away goods and services, for the sake of giving them away?
Businesses generally try to make money with nearly all their activities;
that's broadly consistent with chapter 11's goal of preserving and
augmenting the estate for the benefit of creditors, and with bringing
the business back to profitability.  But many of the Catholic Church's
activities just give away goods (e.g., food at a soup kitchen) or
services (e.g., subsidized education).

        I take it that if a business was giving away lots of goods and
services, with no real hope of getting an indirect profit out of them,
the trustee would stop that.  (Same for individual charitable
contributions, though there are special exemptions for that -- and of
course there's been RFRA litigation over the issue as well.)  Would the
trustee likewise tell the Church to stop running soup kitchens or
homeless shelters?  To stop running its schools, if they're set up to
lose money?  Or would the Church be able to argue that it has to run
these projects to get income in the form of parishioner contributions?
What would it have to prove to have this argument win?

        I take it that similar issues can come up with Chapter 11
reorganizations of any charitable institution -- but I rarely hear of
such reorganizations.  I'd love to hear what bankruptcy experts think
about that.

        Second, how persuasive would the argument that the Church asked
for reorganization, and now has to take the bitter with the sweet, be
given Sherbert v. Verner?  After all, Sherbert held that a state
couldn't say "If you want unemployment benefits, you have to agree to
take any job, even if it conflicts with your religion."  RFRA presumably
retains that doctrine, and as a liberty right, not just an equality
right (as Justice Stevens argued Sherbert should be understood).  And of
course federal courts have generally held (correctly, in my view) that
RFRA as to the federal government does survive City of Boerne.  So
couldn't the Church likewise argue that once the government offers a
generally available benefit, here Chapter 11 rather than unemployment
benefits, it has to respect beneficiaries' religious freedom claims even
in distributing the benefit?

        Many thanks,