-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ann Althouse
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2004 1:48 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Required to stand for the Pledge?

"7th Circuit, discussing Lipp in Sherman" was not the most elegant
prose. I meant that in Sherman the 7th Cir. was discussing Lipp. Lipp
itself is 3d Circ.

This seems like an excellent example of a good time for the school to
just give an apology. But I wonder if there is any legal violation in
talking to students about the advisability of being respectful to the
feelings and beliefs of the other students. We were discussing US v.
Lee in my Religion and the Law class yesterday, and one of the students
was characterizing the Amish in a way that was a bit derisive and
another student snapped at him. That was the first time in 3 years of
teaching the course that there was ever any discomfort in talking about
the sensitive topic of religion. As the class was leaving, I motioned
him over and said something to the effect that people in the class are
used to a tradition of speaking very respectfully about religious
beliefs, and that he might want to tone it down lest people get mad at
him. He's a law student of course, and the girl in the news is a middle
school student, but I do feel that what I was doing was similar to what
this principal did: encouraging a student to show more respect in the
classroom.

Ann