Doug

Some while ago you asked about literature about responses to the Court’s prayer decisions.

See WK Muir, Law and attitude change: Prayer in the Public Schools (University of Chicago 1973).I have a copy.

Marc

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Douglas Laycock
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 9:51 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Michigan Muslim decision

        The old ordinance apparently prohibited "any excessive, unnecessary or unusually loud noise, or any noise which either annoys or disturbs."   Easy to see why the imam thought he wasn't violating that, and why sensitive neighbors thought he was.  This is hardly a neutral ordinance; it is reminiscent of the ordinance struck down in Coates v. Cincinnati, which made it illegal to conduct yourself in a manner annoying to persons passing by.  Most of the annoyance being expressed seems to flow more from the content  than from the noise.

        We don't know how loud this is, or how far it can be heard, or how early in the morning.  Maybe it is such a problem that it would have been regulated independently of its content.  But my hunch is that if that were so, the City Council would not have amended the ordinance to expressly permit it.

        The underlying legal issue is how strong an interest is required to justify suppressing speech or a religious practice.  I assume that under Kovacs v. Cooper they could ban all loudspeakers.  But they may not want to live with the consequences of that.  It may shut down events they would like to permit.  I don't think they can ban only those loudspeakers that someone finds annoying.

Douglas Laycock
University of Texas Law School
727 E. Dean Keeton St.
Austin, TX  78705