Title: Message
    It seems to me that Marty's proposal is indeed for content-based restrictions, not just content-neutral antidiscrimination rules.  He suggests that the rule is facially content-neutral -- presumably "no singling people out based on religion for speech or conduct that they're likely to find offensive" -- but that's like saying that the breach-of-the-peace rules in Cohen v. California, Cantwell v. Connecticut, Terminiello, Hess, Edwards v. South Carolina, and other cases were content-neutral.  Sure, they applied general prohibitions on offensive conduct.  (See http://www1.law.ucla.edu/~volokh/conduct.pdf, pp. 14-15.)  But these prohibitions were applied to speech precisely because it conveyed an offensive message.

    Likewise here.  Marty wouldn't bar all religion-based targeting -- he'd allow religion-based targeting that conveys some messages but not others, which presumably the reasonable recipient would find offensive.  That's clearly a content-based restriction.

    Eugene

Marty writes:

4.  Of course schools do not enforce such rules against every sort of student discrimination -- e.g., choosing one's friends or dates, or picking sides in a kickball game -- for the same reason that legislatures do not prohibit racial and religious discrimination in every sphere of our lives (including how we treat others in everyday social interactions).  And they certainly do not prohibit discrimination when it has absolutely no adverse impact on the "disfavored" class, such as in Eugene's example of a Jewish student group distributing leaflets about Yom Kippur services to students whom they knew to be Jewish.  But they do enforce anti-discrimination laws in those circumstances where the conduct -- including expressive conduct -- obviously is unwanted, or causes tangible harm, or is offensive.  See, e.g., Davis itself.  The fact that the school limits its anti-discrimination enforcement only to these sorts of harmful (or "severe and pervasive") cases does not make the prohibition content-based, contra Gene Summerlin -- in part because the prohibition is not limited to discriminatory speech, but applies as well to nonexpressive forms of discrimination (again, see Davis).  The school could constitutionally enforce a much broader anti-discrimination ban; the fact that it does not do so, that it reserves sanctions for discrimination with real impact, and that it measures such impact in part by the recipients' reactions to such conduct (including speech), does not to my mind (nor the Court's I think -- see Davis) raise a serious free speech problem -- but that's a much more complicated subject that Eugene and I and others have long debated without much resolution.