Context matters, and the nature of discussion matters.  Certainly as a
matter of first impression, I do not believe a student who raises divine
creation as an alternative to evolution can be disciplined (though part
of my instinct is the lack of past rules.  So, in absence of a school
ban on proselytizing, neither can proselytizing be disciplined.  My
relatively uninformed views on creation science suggest the following.

1) The scientific basis of the claim are sufficiently thin as to justify
a finding that the main reason for teaching it  would be to establish a
religion.

2) The scientic basis is just (barely) thick enough as to permit student
advocacy of that position in a science class.

These, I should emphasize are more intuitions, made in the spirit of
friendly conversation, that strong positions.

MAG

>>> "Gene Summerlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/10/04 9:49 AM >>>
Mark,

That's a very good point.  Of course, the school could justify the "no
calling people ugly" rule based on the fact that name calling does not
contribute to or advance the academic mission or environment of the
school.
Discussions of theology or religion, on the other hand, would seem to be
more in line with the academic purpose of provoking critical thinking
skills, so should that make a difference?

In thinking about how a "no religous discussions" or even a "no
prostelytizing" rule would work at a high school level, would it be
acceptable for a school to discipline a high school student who raised
divine creation as an alternative in a class room discussion of
evolution?

Gene Summerlin
Ogborn Summerlin & Ogborn P.C.
210 Windsor Place