Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the pre-biotic soup:

For Immediate Release Dec. 14, 2004
Press Contact: Rob Crowther

Discovery Institute

(206) 292-0401 x.107

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Leading intelligent design think tank calls Dover evolution policy
"misguided," calls for it to be withdrawn

Seattle, Dec. 14 - The policy on teaching evolution recently adopted by the
Dover, PA School Board was called "misguided" today by Discovery Institute's
Center for Science and Culture, which advised that the policy should be
withdrawn and rewritten.

"While the Dover board is to be commended for trying to teach Darwinian
theory in a more open-minded manner, this is the wrong way to go about it,"
said Dr. John G. West, associate director of Discovery Institute's Center
for Science and Culture (CSC).  "Dover's current policy has a number of
problems, not the least of which is its lack of clarity. At one point, it
appears to prohibit Dover schools from teaching anything about 'the origins
of life.' At another point, it appears to both mandate as well as prohibit
the teaching of the scientific theory of intelligent design. The policy's
incoherence raises serious problems from the standpoint of constitutional
law. Thus, the policy should be withdrawn and rewritten."

Apart from questions about its constitutionality, West expressed
reservations about the Dover School Board's directive on public policy
grounds.

"When we first read about the Dover policy, we publicly criticized it
because according to published reports the intent was to mandate the
teaching of intelligent design," explained West. "Although we think
discussion of intelligent design should not be prohibited, we don't think
intelligent design should be required in public schools.

"What should be required is full disclosure of the scientific evidence for
and against Darwin's theory," added West, "which is the approach supported
by the overwhelming majority of the public."

Discovery Institute's Center for Science & Culture is the nation's leading
think-tank exploring the scientific theory of intelligent design, which
proposes that some features of the natural world are best explained as the
product of an intelligent cause rather than an undirected cause such as
natural selection. In recent years a growing number of scientists have
presented the case for intelligent design theory in academic journal
articles and books published by major academic presses such as Cambridge
University Press and Michigan State University Press.  For more information
visit the Institute's website at www.discovery.org/csc/.

###