>From Doug Laycock's description, the Board did not allow the nativity
scene, but permitted a Menorah and a Kwanza display. I read that to
indicate that no other Christmas display was provided as a substitute for
the nativity scene. If that is what occurred, I consider it an error of
judgement.

I don't have a problem with the Board's decision not to allow the
nativity scene. But if the Board is going to allow what are essentially
cultural and non-religious displays to reflect the diversity of faiths
represented in the community -- I would think there are lots of ways to
recognize the various faith communities that celebrate Christmas in a
display without a nativity scene.

Alan Brownstein
UC Davis

> >Which part of the School District's decision was dumb?  Following
advice of cousel and not allowing the nativity scene or getting rid of
the old Board? I thought that the advice counsel gave to the board would
be seen as pretty standard, and I would have given the same.