From: Lupu [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 10:50 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: 21st Century Zorach

Released time has several problems in addition to trapping the left-
behind students in a dead hour (Rick, high schoolers may have
study halls, but 2nd graders usually don't, so this is a sham
argument):

1.  Why is released time only for religious studies?  Why shouldn't it
be for any activity of educational or civic value (Scouts, chess, or
music lessons away from school, etc.)?  I have never heard a good
argument for religion-only released time.

2.  Why should the school be releasing time from its curriculum in
the first place?  If school is longer than need be, shorten it.  If
parents want religious education for their children, why not send
them for it before or after school?

3.  In communities in which the vast majority of children go to Bible
study during release time, there is pressure on other children to
conform and ask parental permission to go too.  (Someone wrote an
op-ed in the Washington Post in the past week or so, describing this
exact situation as part of her childhood.) Conformity pressures are
always present among children, of course, but here (as in Engel),
the school is creating the context in which conformity pressures are
highlighted.  Being "left behind" in class is a more visible
nonconformity than going off on one's own after school.  (In my
grade school days, the only children who left my public school for
release time were Catholic; there weren't many, and the program
spotlighted them as in a religious minority in the public school and
as too poor to attend Catholic school as most of their fellow
Catholics did.)

Chip Lupu