Further, the goal of accommodating religion simply can not justify a religion only release time program. I support religiously exclusive accommodations when there is some reason not to open the class of accommodated individuals to include non-religious individuals. And often that is the case. But in a program that keeps non-participating students in an empty classroom with no organized activities provided for them, what possible justification can there be for insisting that students waste their time this way -- instead of allowing them to participate in a supplementary, non-religious, educational program off campus that their parents would like them to attend.

Nor do I think that arranging for the release time program at the end of the school day imposes any great hardship on families. I understand that just because Lincoln walked miles to school every day doesn't mean our kids should have to do so too. But 50 years ago, I, and thousands of other Jewish kids in New York City, spent several hours each week in Hebrew School after school had ended -- without any formal release time program. I just don't see the problem here.

Alan Brownstein
UC Davis