From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Steven Jamar
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 5:13 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Institutional Capacity to Manage Exemptions

I take it that challenges are improper even if well grounded? Not all challenges, of course, prevail (Rosenberger).

On Monday, March 14, 2005, at 04:53 PM, Anthony Picarello wrote:

Then, with the sole exception of federal constitutional amendments, religious groups can expect Establishment Clause challenges to their hard-won legislative accommodations:  as "blind giveaways" if they are too broad (Cutter), as "denominational preferences" if too tailored (Kiryas Joel).  They may also face separation of powers challenges on the (ironic) theory that in providing accommodations, the legislature is usurping the role of judiciary.

In other words, the unifying theme in this position is not deference to legislative acts, but hostility to legislative acts and judicial rules alike if they help religious litigants.

Hostility by whom toward whom? The ACLU and other groups defend religious people's rights as well as the rights of others, including in schools when teachers, principals or school boards utterly ban religious _expression_

--

Prof. Steven D. Jamar vox: 202-806-8017

Howard University School of Law fax: 202-806-8428

2900 Van Ness Street NW mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Washington, DC 20008 http://www.law.howard.edu/faculty/pages/jamar

"Nothing that is worth anything can be achieved in a lifetime; therefore we must be saved by hope."

Reinhold Neibuhr