But why limit it to situations involving "historical disputes
about state-funded clergy" *education*?  There have also been historical
disputes about state funding of clergy practice, not just clergy
education (see the Assessment controversy).

        If private-choice education grant programs such as the one in
Locke may exclude use for religious study because otherwise tax money
will flow for clergy education, why can't programs of aid to the poor or
the disabled exclude religion because otherwise tax money will flow to
the clergy (via donations or Bible Study tuition payments)?  Why isn't
the latter as close as the former to the historical disputes?