Martin Marty had a short piece on the issue of military chaplains in his
Sightings from the  Martin Marty Center at the University of Chicago
Divinity School  this week.  If you are interested, I have pasted it
below:

Sightings  7/11/05

The Decline of Military Chaplaincy
-- Martin E. Marty

Sighting military chaplains these days demands strong binoculars --
chaplains are distant and few -- as well as measures of attention
that most citizens lack.  But to focus in on a sample: Forward offers
a cover story called "<http://www.forward.com/articles/3367>Military
Services Hit Hard by Chaplain Shortage."  It features a very rare
rabbi-to-be, Andrew Goodman, who may be heading for Navy chaplaincy.
A published table shows how desperate is the Jewish case: While 2.3
percent of Americans are Jewish, and while Jews are slightly better
represented in the military than many other groups, says Nathaniel
Popper in the story, only 1 percent -- 29 of 2,850 chaplains in all
the services -- are Jewish.  And the prospects for increasing the
percentage are poor.

Popper lists several reasons for this low number.  First, there is a
general clerical shortage, so there are few clerics or rabbis to
spare.  Second, salaries are low.  A cute line from the article:
"Higher salaries [are] available to rabbis outside the military -- an
incentive that doesn't exist for many Protestant clergymen [sic], who
generally start in lower paying positions outside the service."
Moving right along, Popper also lists "fears of war" and, even more
to the fore, "ideological issues."  The kind of young Jews who would
be heading to the rabbinate are the kind of candidates who joined
non-Jewish leaders massively opposed to the Iraq invasion and war.
(They seem to have been less opposed to the pursuit of terrorists in
Afghanistan.)

Popper takes note of Daniella Kolodny, an active-duty rabbi chaplain
in the National Naval Medical Center near Washington, D.C.  She rues
the fact that Christian cultures in the military tend to freeze out
Jews, but she's far from Baghdad and is not sure she'll sign up
herself for a second stint.

The plaints of Jewish service people, Jewish leaders, non-Jewish
friends of Judaism, and people who care for all souls in the military
are well reported on in Popper's article.  They inspire reflection.
When writing on the period of World War II in my book The Noise of
Conflict, I had occasion to keep up on chaplaincy, and I've tried to
do so ever since.  The contrasts between that time and the present
are awesome; World War II was a believed-in war in which the whole
populace was engaged, including many conscientious objectors who took
their turns at civilian relief work.

This year my wife and I have been playing a spying game we invite
others to play.  If you are not members of a military family,
participants in military culture, or living near a military base:
Aside from airport security line inconveniences, what signs --
anywhere, among anyone -- do you find that we are at war?  Decals to
"Support Our Troops" are cheap and meaningless.  What are we doing
without?  The cynics (or realists) might say that our grandchildren
will be inconvenienced by the debt we are amassing, but most of the
action is as distant as the rationale is fading.  Given that outlook,
why do I write mournfully about chaplain shortages?

For half a century, from back when I was doing artwork for a
denominational chaplaincy service, to the present, I have had empathy
for chaplains.  They carry dual allegiance, and minister to a passing
parade of those who deserve care.  They suffer great risk, and are
bearers of solace in the worst of circumstances.

Popper reports on a caste designated as "critical shortage chaplain
recruiters."  Chaplains, he comments, are aging.  Are they
disappearing?

Martin E. Marty's biography, current projects, upcoming events,
publications, and contact information can be found at
<http://www.illuminos.com>www.illuminos.com.

----------

Sightings comes from the <http://marty-center.uchicago.edu/>Martin
Marty Center at the University of Chicago Divinity School.

Submissions policy
Sightings welcomes submissions of 500 to 750 words in length that
seek to illuminate and interpret the forces of faith in a pluralist
society.
<http://marty-center.uchicago.edu/sightings/index.shtml>Previous
columns give a good indication of the topical range and tone for
acceptable essays. The editor also encourages new approaches to
issues related to religion and public life.

Attribution
Columns may be quoted or republished in full, with attribution to the
author of the column, Sightings, and the Martin Marty Center at the
University of Chicago Divinity School.

Contact information
Please send all inquiries, comments, and submissions to
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>Jeremy Biles,
managing editor of Sightings, at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe, unsubscribe, or
manage your subscription at the Sightings
<https://listhost.uchicago.edu/mailman/listinfo/sightings>subscription

page.

Craig

Rev. Craig B. Mousin
University Ombudsperson
DePaul University

(mail)    Office of Mission and Values
            1 East Jackson Boulevard
            Chicago, Illinois 60604

(office)  Suite 853
             55 E. Jackson Blvd.
             Chicago, Illinois 60604

312-362-8707 (voice)
312-362-5706 (confidential fax)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please remember that email is not appropriate for confidential
communications.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 7/12/2005 9:47:43 AM >>>
There is a fascinating article in today's NYTimes on the increasing
number of Evangelical chaplains in the armed services.  Consider oe
James Klingenschmitt, of the Evangelical Episcopal Church, whose
retention was recommended against by his commanding officer following,
among other things, his preaching at a memorial service at sea for a
Catholic sailor that "emphasized that for those who did not accept
Jesus, 'God's wrath remains upon him.'"  I presume that the this was not
meant to apply to the Catholic seaman, but it obviously suggested to any
Jewish or Muslim (or atheist or Buddhist, etc., etc., etc.) that they
were condemned to God's wrath.  In any event, is there a serious
argument that it is improper to take such speech into account in
deciding whether to recommend that the contract be renewed.  I presume,
incidentally, that the armed forces would not renew the contract of a
chaplain who sugested that a given war was in fact "unjust,"  If the
armed services can constittionally do that (presumably on grounds that
it is not good for the morale of those in the armed services), then why
can't it fire chaplains who suggest that many members of the armed
services are damned to eternal perdition?

sandy