"Constitutional protections . . . should not depend merely on a strict
construction that may allow 'technicalities of form to dictate consequences of
substance.'  As the Court remarked in the leading contract clause case of this
century [Blasidell], 'where constitutional grants and limitations of power are
set forth in general clauses, which afford a broad outline, the process of
construction is essential to fill in the details.' . . . . 'The great clauses
of the Constitution are to be considered in the light of our whole experience,
and not merely as they would be interpreted by its Framers in the conditions
and with the outlook of their time.' [quoting U.S. Trust]."

That's from John Roberts's Case Note, 92 Harv. L. Rev. at 91, responding to
Justice Brennan's "plain meaning" argument in Allied Steel that the
constitutional phrase "Laws *impairing* the obligation of Contracts" should be
construed to mean . . . "Laws *impairing* the obligation of contracts" -- and
not laws that impose additional obligations beyond those required by existing
contracts.

See also, e.g., most of Roberts's briefs in constitutional cases and,
especially, his extended Harvard Law Review “Developments” section on
regulatory takings.  There are many things one can say about that essay --
including that it is extremely impressive for a young student, demonstrating
remarkable erudition and sophistication, and that he was obviously very
influenced by the writings of Michelman, Sax and Ackerman (even if Roberts’s
pragmatic and theoretical considerations appear to push him to support a
requirement of just compensation in situations where those scholars would not).
 But what one certainly *cannot* say about it -- or of most other Roberts
constitutional writings -- is that it is the least bit "textualist," or
"originalist," or "strict constructionist."  A judge adopting Roberts's
understanding of how the Takings Clause should be construed would, in Sam
Ventola's words, be "imposing some other world view through judicial fiat" --
not that there's anything!
  wrong with that! (unless, of course, one does not share the Roberts "world
view" regarding of property regulation).

Indeed, the writings I've seen suggest that Roberts is not any sort of a
doctrinaire constitutional theorist, devoted to certain meta-principles.
Instead, he’s basically a pragmatist -- comfortable and facile, as all good
lawyers are, with the full array of argumentative modes -- albeit one with a
very definite political/jurisprudential bias.  I predict that that will make
him -- for better or worse, depending on one's constitutional vision -- much
more influential on the Court than, say, Judge Luttig, Brown or Jones would
have been.  If I had to hazard one analogy, I suppose it would be that he'll be
similar to, and perhaps as effective as, Justice Rehnquist.  And it's not going
out on very much of a limb to assume that *that's* why the President chose him
-- "strict construction"'s got nothin' to do with it.