Title: Message
    Folks:  As I mentioned, let's please focus our discussions as much as possible on the law of government and religion, rather than on libertarian theory more broadly.

    The list custodian

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 9:02 AM
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: what does the right REALLY think of Roberts?

In a message dated 7/26/2005 11:15:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
By the way, most social liberals who consider themselves libertarian do not support gun rights, school choice, low taxes, freedom of contract and other economic liberties, etc. So even if I am not a 100% libertarian, I score higher on the libertarian scale than do many liberals who like to think of themselves as lovers of liberty. Indeed, I would go a long way toward abolishing the Regulatory Welfare State, much further than most self-identified libertarians.
        Whether by Rick or by "social liberals" picking and choosing only their favorite libertarian rights impoverishes libertarian theory.  Moreover, libertarians, courageously, raise the evil of government intrusion into areas of human freedom. Social conservatism makes no bones about permitting governmental regulation of vast areas of human conduct. The fundamental attraction of libertarianism is that except for certain obvious restrictions--to ensure the freedom of others-- of freedom, libertarians recoil at thinking of the libertarian project as a "scale" according to which anyone can claim libertarian credentials just so long as he or she rejects state regulation in some areas of life. To advocate "abolishing the Regulatory Welfare State" does not, in my view, a libertarian make, especially when the individual claiming libertarian status embraces "the Regulatory Personal Morality State" as do many social and religious conservatives.

Bobby

Robert Justin Lipkin
Professor of Law
Widener University School of Law