Title: Message
Folks:  Please take this interesting but off-topic discussion off-list.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Newsom Michael
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 3:09 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: what does the right REALLY think of Roberts?

On the one hand you say that [some] economic liberties are expressly contained in the written Constitution.  On the other you abhor substantive due process.  But didn’t Lochner defend the economic (contract) liberties of a poor laborer (or should we say employe (with an accent aigu), to use Peckham’s ridiculous term) on substantive due process grounds?  Was Peckham’s opinion wrong?  Did he read the Constitution wrong with respect to “freedom” of contract?  Or, as I suspect, didn’t he correctly understand that in order to strike down the statute in Lochner he needed to utilize a doctrine that functions like substantive due process does having no constitutional text on which he could rely (other than the Due Process clauses)?  And if Peckham was right, then just maybe the Constitution does not EXPRESSLY protect or guarantee quite as many economic “liberties” as you suppose, and if you want to protect a whole range of such “liberties” then you need substantive due process or something very much like it.