I thought this was what Jim's distinction between pluralism and tolerance amounted to, but wasn't sure.  Unfortunately, current dictionary usage is ambiguous about the status of "toleration."  Many dictionary entries stress putting up with or suffering something.  But even here the object often is not always a practice but tolerating drugs or loud noise.  When it comes to people, some entries include the words "respect" and "sympathy."  So as usual consulting dictionaries is far from conclusive.

        My interest in tolerance is its ethical and political significance.  Once the conceptual landscape is limited in that manner, it's difficult to see how toleration can exist shorn of such other moral emotions as respect, sympathize, appreciate, and so forth. For example, I tolerate views I disagree with often as a sign of respect for the believer. Here I'm not enduring these view; rather, I'm struggling with views I disagree with as a constituent feature of the respect I owe the believer. Of course, one can create a triad between "tolerate" (suffer), "respect" (consider the view as plausible even if wrong), and "appreciate" (disagree with but recognize an important element a truth in), but I'm not sure how useful this distinction is. (I actually wrote about this matter once, and I am delighted that Jim's posts prodded me to remember my former investigations.  The ravages of age.)

        There is an important reason to emphasize the side of "tolerate" that leans toward respect as in those dictionary entries that actually mention respect or sympathize. If I merely endure or suffer your views, I will (1) never learn anything from them and (2) Given (1) when crisis arises my suffering your views become unstable.  "Tolerating" another's view of the person herself is not a good recipe for enduring relations between and among groups in a pluralist society. That's why a pluralist society should encourage or nurture the toleration (respect, sympathize) of different views.  I would think this is especially true of any society committed to the free exercise of religion. Of course toleration has limits, but that's another matter.

Bobby

Robert Justin Lipkin
Professor of Law
Widener University School of Law