It works! A seven day shift is simply a seven day working pattern; we have working hour limitation legislation, but the employercan set the days to be worked and days off. So on a seven day shift pattern, the employer required Sunday work and gave Thursday instead.

Hope this helps.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Law & Religion issues for Law Academics" <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Cc: "Law & Religion issues for Law Academics" <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 10:02 PM
Subject: Re: UK case

At 08:43 PM 8/2/2005 +0100, Paul Diamond wrote:
Dear All,

Not sure how this works; can you confirm if you have received this? I am Paul Diamond from the real Cambridge (UK, not MA)!

This was a recent case in our Court of Appeal Copsey v WBB; you may find it interesting and ignore the Euro jargan; would be interest in your views. <http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup.cgi?doc=/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2005/932.html>www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup.cgi?doc=/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2005/932.html

Paul

I was able to access the opinion and it appears to turn on a fine point
of UK/EU law.  I am lacking one bit of background information that would
be really helpful in understanding the facts of the case: What exactly is
a 7-day shift pattern?

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Weblog: http://www.hypotyposeis.org/weblog/ Author of: The Gospel Hoax, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1932792481

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private. Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.