I am late to this thread. I apologize if my comment is redundent to
earlier posts.

Perhaps the issue here should be understood to focus on religious
divisivenss which may include, but may also have a broader meaning than,
religious strife.

Religious divisiveness might refer to two additional concerns -- not only
whether religious people get angry at each other because of the
government's actions. 1. Whether we increase the likelihood that
religious groups defined in denominational terms will be advantaged or
disadvantaged if they gain control over government. 2. Whether we promote
the fragmentation of our communities along denominational religious lines
both for political reasons (because a significant number of co-
religionists in a community can accrue political power)and for
institutional reasons (because only a sufficiently large group of co-
religionists can develop an institutional infrastructure capable of
obtaining a fair share of the public sector pie.)

A vigorously enforced free exercise clause and establishment clause
reduces both the risks of being a religious minority in a community and
the benefits of being a member of a large minority or the majority in a
community. These joint guarantees promote religious integration -- in the
sense of people of different faiths living and working together and
developing the kind of understanding and empathy that regular
interactions may foster.

Government leading religious observances or endorsing religious messages,
on the other hand, is religiously divisive in this sense. So is the
government funding of religious institutions -- if the services those
institutions provide are infused with religious content and if they
discriminate on the basis of religion.

If Justice Scalia's understanding of the Establishment Clause in McCreary
was adopted; Hindus, Buddhists, and members of other non-monotheistic
faiths would have a significant additional incentive to congregate
together in communities to avoid marginalization. If Scalia's
understanding of the Establishment Clause in Mitchell v. Helms was
adopted, Jewish social workers, for example, would have to think
carefully about moving to communities with small Jewish populations --
because a significant number of publicly funded jobs in their field might
be religiously restricted -- substantially limiting their employment
opportunities.

I recognize that not everyone on the list views this kind of divisiveness
as problematic, much less constitutionally significant. But for those of
us who do -- and that may just be me -- it is another factor to consider.

Alan Brownstein
UC Davis