In a message dated 8/19/2005 4:39:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
There are all sorts of ways to provide comfort.  But a nonbelieving physician would simply be lying if he/she said "I'm sure you're son is in heaven."  S/he could say, "I have some sense of how you feel because my own child/parent/sibling died recently," or "I can only dimly imagine the grief you must feel, because Tom was such a fine child, and I have been spared such a tragedy as occurred to your family."  I would like to think that I have a heart that I have displayed over the years, but I have never lied about the afterlife, about which I believe we know absolutely nothing.
Sandy,

I believe you have a heart.  I suggested nothing to the contrary.  I think a physician who believes his competence is confined to the clinical observation that brain and heart function has irreversibly ceased is not aware of all of his competencies, and doesn't reflect the great tradition in medicine.

Jim Henderson
Senior Counsel
ACLJ