From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of West, Ellis
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2005 4:27 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Findings on Hostility at Smithsonian Noted in NRO Article

Gene, I will make an attempt to relate this thread to religion law.  According to many scholars, the religion clauses require that the government, including the public schools, be neutral with respect to religion.  Is that possible, especially in the area of public education?  More specifically, unless it is taught within the context of some sort of “philosophy of science” introduction or framework, isn’t evolution and perhaps all science inherently anti-religion?  In other words, in order not to be anti-religion, doesn’t the teaching of evolution at least have to be accompanied by some sort caveat or disclaimer about the metaphysical and theological implications of the subject?

A second way that this thread relates to religion law is that it raises the question about the meaning or definition of religion.  It’s interesting to me that most of the critics of ID on this list have assumed or argued that there is a sharp distinction between science and religion.  Although I am not an expert in the philosophy of science, I wonder how many philosophers of science today would accept that there is a hard and fast distinction between the two.  It is said that the claims of science, but not those of religion, are testable, but are scientific concepts like causation, force, gravity, etc. testable?  Of course, whether an object will fall is testable, but does anyone know why it will fall?  How can government be neutral with respect to religion unless there is a fairly clear distinction between religion and science and other ways of comprehending reality?

Ellis M. West
Political Science Department
University of Richmond, VA 23173
804-289-8536