In a message dated 8/21/2005 1:30:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Lawrence, at least as a matter of formal analysis, inasmuch as we it is certainly rational to view adultery as a victim-creating activity and a well-substantiated threat to marriage.
        I might simply be unaware of the exact nature and enforcement of laws prohibiting adultery, but I suspect they prohibit adulterous relations whether or not the spouse consents. If so, in some cases at least, the spouse is not a victim; nor is the adulterous relationship a threat to that marriage. In this case, laws prohibiting adultery are much more like laws criminalizing same-sex intimacy or incest between adults. If that's right, liberals must seek another justification for laws prohibiting adultery than victimhood.  Indeed, some of us believe the state has no role to play in policing marriages in this manner, and that it is inconsistent with the general liberal imperative in favor of personal autonomy to insist that laws against adultery are justifiable because there's a victim. Sure, laws are justifiable when a spouse fails to fulfill obligations for spousal or child support.  But the fact that a spouse feels betrayed by adulterous conduct doesn't seem to warrant the intrusion of the criminal law.

        Moreover, I think it simply flies in the face of the experience of those abhorring same-sex marriage to say no one is harmed or victimized by same-sex marriage. There are kinds of harm--challenging the integrity of someone's "normative environment"--that occur everyday and are genuine harms.  The problem for those opposed to same-sex marriage is that these kinds of harm cannot be the basis for law in a democracy.  An overly materialist, consumerist society threatens (harms) my aesthetic lifestyle. That's a genuine harm especially when you throw into the mix that I want to protect my child from materialism.  Yet, it would be preposterous to say that this harm justifies passing a law against materialism.  Democracy is messy and requires us to endure (be harmed by) many value systems of our fellow citizens. So, in my view, democracy cannot tolerate proscribing or not permitting same-sex marriage.  But it simply doesn't follow that opponents of same-sex marriage are do not suffer a cognizable harm if the exclusivity condition in traditional marriage is eliminated.

Bobby

Robert Justin Lipkin
Professor of Law
Widener University School of Law