Ed:

We are veering off the church-state issue. So, in order to not irritate
Eugene, I will respond briefly.

I think the Craig-Smith debate makes my point.  Both Craig and Smith agree
that Big Bang cosmology, because it is knowledge, has implications for
theology.  For Smith, it better comports with atheology; for Craig, it
better comports with theological realism. Regardless, both agree that
theology and science are not two non-overlapping spheres, but different
knowledge traditions whose claims may overlap at some points.

But this is not surprising at all. For example, there are internal disputes
in evolutionary biology about a whole array of issues, but no one would
conclude (as you have correctly noted on occasion) from the different
inferences drawn from the same facts that either scientists dispute
evolution qua evolution or that the facts and the inferences are two
different subjects. The disagreement between Craig and Smith is a real
disagreement about the same subject. Consequently, I look at that
disagreement differently than  you do.

Second, drawing non-scientific inferences from scientific facts (as you
understand those terms) occurs quite often in the literature published by
some of your allies.  You may not agree with these folks; so I don't want be
presumptuous in concluding that you do. However, many of us, rightly or
wrongly, read these works and are not convinced that folks on your side are
holding up your end of the science/non-science bargain. Here is what I mean.
Robert T. Pennock writes that ³[S]cience rejects all special ontological
substances that are supernatural, and it does so without prejudice, be they
mental or vital or divine,.² Robert T. Pennock, Tower of Babel: The Evidence
Against the New Creationism 324 (MIT Press 1999). But he writes elsewhere
that ³Aristotle had held that all species were characterized by some
defining essential characteristic that differentiated them from other
species, and Darwin¹s discoveries overturned this view forever.² Id, 156.
But to say that a particular metaphysical position is overturned forever is
to prejudge all future arguments as unsound, that is, to embrace a
prejudice. In addition, one cannot reject all non-natural substances without
prejudice unless one knows either that non-natural substances cannot
in-principle count against Darwinian accounts of the natural world (but that
can¹t be, because Pennock says that Darwin¹s discoveries overturned them) or
that non-natural substances cannot exist by definition (but in that case,
there was nothing for Darwin to overturn).

Third, if one draws an inference from scientific premises, and the premises
are true and they strongly support (or deductively demonstrate) the
conclusion, why would it matter to call the inference "scientific" or
"non-scientific"? It seems to me that one would have a good argument that
provides support for a conclusion that is more likely true than not.  If
knowledge is seamless, then the term "science" carries no actual probative
strength.

Fourth, I don't think you properly characterize ID, though I suspect that
there are proponents who have fallen into the errors you note.  Many of the
charges you raise, I believe, have been adequately responded to by Del
Ratzsch, J. P. Moreland, and others.

I have to prepare for the new semester that begins tomorrow.

Take care,
Frank