I think "religious apartheid" and "religious fragmentation" have very different meanings. But putting that issue aside for the moment, the questions Tom asks are certainly fair and important ones.

I certainly don't know if there is significant empirical literature that responds to his questions -- and I lack the expertise
to evaluate what may be available.

But let me offer a few responses that are not based on empirical studies.

1. The intuition that our children benefit from getting to know children of other races, ethnic groups, and religions is a pretty powerful one. Tom's own question reflects it when he notes that Catholic schools are more racially diverse than public schools. Why should we care about that unless we think that interactions with others
of a different background or ethnicity matters.

Of course, other factors contribute to how well children will socialize with others too. What kids are taught at
school and at home is pretty critical. So are other factors.

2. As to how many parents will choose private schools for their kids, I'm not sure how much we can learn from the results of any one program, like the Cleveland program at issue in Zelman. But there is something of a disconnect here. On the one hand, I'm told that the culture war is pervasive. There is no common ground. The public schools will always be a battleground among warring parents over the education of their children. It is intolerable to have children subjected to values or theories that are inconsistent with the values of their parents.

But then I'm told, Don't worry about vouchers because hardly anyone is going to use them to attend private schools anyway. One of the reasons I worry that government aid to religious schools and other religious social programs will be fragmenting is that I listen to the arguments of people who support those programs, many of whom are much less moderate than Tom.

3. As for interreligious tension in other Western democracies that provide substantial state aid to religious schools.
I can't point to empirical studies. But I think there is considerably more
interreligious tension and less religious equality in many Western democracies than exists in the U.S. It's complicated. It gets mixed in with racial, ethnic, and immigration issues. I would not suggest that the government's funding of religious schools is its primary cause. But I think we have done a lot better job in creating a society in which people of different faiths can live together than most other countries.

4. And speaking of empirical studies, where are the studies, here or abroad, that suggest that government aid to religious schools is going to solve the problems we have been discussing about religion and values in the public schools. Most of the countries I am familiar with that fund religious schools also involve religion in the public schools in one way or another. I don't see any clear inverse connection drawn between government funding of private religious institutions and government promotion of religion in the public sector itself -- with government funding of private religious institutions necessarily reducing the promotion of religion in public "secular" institutions. It is also common, I believe, for government funding of private religious institutions and government promotion of religion in the public sector to go hand in hand. Certainly, that is the pattern we see on the U.S. Supreme Court. The same Justices that support allowing the government to fund religious institutions that will use government money for religious purposes also support allowing the government itself to endorse religion. I understand that isn't Tom's position. But if we are talking about what is likely to happen rather than what should happen, it is not at all clear to me that the adoption of voucher programs will markedly reduce attempts to have government endorse religion in schools or elsewhere.

Alan Brownstein
UC Davis