In a message dated 8/28/2005 12:05:34 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
A group of Christian schools is suing the University of California
system claiming discrimination because they won't recognize and accept
credits from certain courses, including one that includes a young earth
creationist textbook in a science class. Two links on it:

http://www.presstelegram.com/Stories/0,1413,204~21474~3026833,00.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050827/ap_on_re_us/creationism_lawsuit;_ylt=Aj9doupMbYBM4QWi9_AfpjtvzwcF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Is there any legal basis for such a suit?
(Emphasis added.)

I think that this case presents fascinating possibilities for discussing law and religion.  Ed's question is whether there is any legal basis for such a suit.  I think to the point of tears I have made clear where I would go looking for legal bases for the suit:  (1) viewpoint discrimination and (2) standardless and unbridled discretion.  In "normal" cases, that is, one's not apt to be distorted by one of the Court's peccadilloes (the "abortion" distortion factor, for example), any constitutional litigator would be drooling over a case that carried the possibilities of government viewpoint discrimination and standardless discretion.

Mr. Brayton obviously doesn't need my help to defend himself, but as an experienced constitutional litigator let me say that I find Mr. Brayton's posts more careful with the facts, more logical, and better grounded in the law, than the posts on  this subject by either Prof. Duncan or my friend Jim Henderson, whose statements about "standardless, unbridled discretion" seem to have little to do with the real world.  I, for one, am glad to be able to benefit from Mr. Brayton's knowledge.

I object to my friend, Art Spitzer's accusation that I am being less careful with the facts.  I have adverted to the facts only a bit, and in doing so have adverted to the news source that Ed cited at the start of this thread.  I haven't gone looking for other sources, read the UC webpages on approved and disapproved courses, etc.  Just took the facts as Ed offered them.  What I did do, and Art's reaction does surprise me here, is ask questions about other fact patterns, more and less related to this one, in order to try and tease out a discussion of governing legal principles.  Art finds "standardless, unbridled discretion" discussions to have little to do with the real world (as a side note, the Supreme Court has agreed with Art of late on this point; see the majority opinion in Hill v. Colorado).  I wonder why this concern in "other worldly."  Has the ACLU developed a position that prior restraint doctrine as it has been is passe?  Has the ACLU concluded that precious liberties, of religious exercise, of speech, press, assembly, know no truer friend, no dearer guardian, than the cop on the beat, the bureaucrat in the maze of government agencies?  It is, perhaps, unfair to ask that Art speak for an organization when his voice on this list was only his own.  But I get the ACLU email blasts and the kind of discretion that bothers me here and doesn't apparently bother Art is precisely what bothers the ACLU about the powers endowed on the feds in the Patriot Act.

(When I poke at Art I feel that I must express my personal appreciation for positions on the right to freedom of speech and press that he has staked out in the past, including in cases in which I was representing parties).

There was another comment by Rick that I inadvertently erased asking if I didn't think the First Amendment was at least a bit implicated in such controversies.  I still tend to think the answer is no, for reasons given earlier about the irrelevance of content- and viewpoint-neutrality to assessing the way that universities organize themselves.
And as for this point, again, I would not think that a search for constitutional grounds would succeed if this was a case in which "universities [had] organize[d] themselves."  But of course, this is not such a case.  As I understand it, the State of California has organized the University of California system.  These are state schools, state institutions.  I know that Sandy does not dispute this point.  I can prove it.  Let California make a condition of admission the taking of the following oath:  "I attest to the literal truth of the Holy Scripture.  I attest to the creation in six days of all that exists.  I attest to the Virgin Birth.  I attest the teaching ministry, miracles, passion, death and resurrection of Jesus the Christ."  How quickly would Sandy, or his stand - in, be in a federal court challenging the condition of admission.

This is about government conduct.  True there is discretion to be had.  But it is not vast.  It is not standardless.  It is not unbridled.

Ed asked if there are legal bases for the suit.  These, at least, are such bases.

Jim Henderson
Senior Counsel
ACLJ