Simply on the predictive issue:  (1) Does the Ninth Circuit have a
"related cases" rule, and (2) if so, would the appeal of this
decision fall within the rule?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scarberry, Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 11:12 pm
Subject: RE: New Pledge of Allegiance Case, and precential effect
of Ninth        Cir cuit's earlier Newdow decision

> Let me recommend Howard Bashman's post on the precedent
issue at How
> Appealing, http://legalaffairs.org/howappealing/. (Scroll down to
> 8:01 pm
> 9/14/05 post.) He presents arguments for the following
conclusion:

> "In holding that the Ninth Circuit's Pledge of Allegiance ruling,
> even after
> being reversed by the U.S. Supreme Court, requires the U.S.
> District Court
> for the Eastern District of California to hold that recitation of
> the Pledge
> in public schools is unconstitutional, today's ruling is really,
> reallywrong."
>
> Mark Scarberry
> Pepperdine

expectations
> of the
> judicial branch, but it seems to me that accepting the mantle of a
> judgerequires enough moral courage to do what your job
requires of
> you,regardless of popular opinion.  Again, not being a lawyer, I
> don't feel
> I'm in a position to accurately understand his motivations based
on
> thequoted section of the opinion, so I will look forward to reading
> andlearning from what I read here from the learned assemblage.
>
> Brad

messages
> that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list
members
> can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.

begin:vcard
n:Tushnet;Mark
fn:Mark Tushnet,tushnet
tel;fax:202-662-9497
tel;work:202-662-1906
org:Georgetown University Law Center;
adr:;;600 New Jersey Ave. NW;Washington;DC;20001;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
end:vcard