From: "Marty Lederman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,"Law & Religion issues for Law Academics" <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Subject: New Pledge of Allegiance Case -- What Does "Binding" Mean, Anyway?
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 00:45:29 -0400

1. My understanding (although this could be mistaken) is that there was a case or controversy in Newdow -- the only thing missing was "prudential" standing.

2. In any event, even if it were later determined that there had been no case or controversy, I don't see why it would follow that "the entire decision [on the merits] is dicta": The merits decision was fully briefed and argued (by "competent" parties), and, more importantly, carefully considered by the panel. Thus, the reasons that classic dicta is deemed unreliable -- and hence nonbinding -- are not present. (Indeed, clear holdings of a panel are often thought to be "binding" even if the issue was not briefed at all.)

3. It is often the case that a holding not necessary to resolve the controversy is deemed "binding" on lower courts and future panels -- for instance, whenever there are alternative grounds for decision, either one of which would be sufficient to support the judgment. So that can't be the test of "bindingness," either.

4. In any case, when the first panel reached the merits in Newdow, it did so on the assumption that the resolution of the merits was necessary to resolve the case or controversy. To be sure, it may have later turned out that that was not true -- because the case could have been resolved on prudential standing grounds -- but that's the case whenever a decision is reversed "on other grounds," and in most such cases the holding that was left undisturbed is treated as binding in later cases, if I'm not mistaken (the district court cites the CTA9 decision in Durning to this effect -- but I haven't researched the question).

5. Returning back to the broader question, Stuart writes that a court of appeals decision "is binding on a district court because lower courts have to follow higher courts." Well, the lower court "followed" the higher court here, so that's not a problem. I'm increasingly, wondering, however, whether any of this discussion (my own included) makes any sense at all. Here's a brief explanation why -- but I'd welcome the input of fedcourts experts in case I'm way off-base here.

Contrary to common understanding (and Stuart's first sentence), a trial court in the Eastern District of California, such as this one, does not "have to" follow the decisions of most "higher courts." It doesn't deem "binding" the decisions of the Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, or of the California Supreme Court, for instance. It generally treats as "binding" the decisions of the Ninth Circuit, but not, I think, because there's some legal or constitutional obligation to do so -- contra Rodriguez de Quijas. The reason the district court in the EDCal treats the decisions of the CTA9 as "binding" is that its judgment may, of course, be appealed to the CTA9, and a new panel of the CTA9 itself will be required -- by internal CTA9 rules -- to follow the previous CTA9 decision. Therefore, as a practical matter, it does not make much sense for the trial court to issue a decision in conflict with the holding of a CTA9 panel, because such a decision is very likely not to be sustained on appeal -- by virtue of the court of appeals' own internal stare decisis rules. Very likely, but not inevitable. The district court might predict, or hope, that the Ninth Circuit will reverse the prior ruling en banc, or that the Supreme Court will take the new case and reverse the prior CTA9 holding -- in which case perhaps it makes sense for the district court not to follow the "governing" holding (cf. Gobitis/Barnette). It would be a nightmare if district courts took a flyer on such a possibility all the time -- and courts of appeals would not look kindly on the practice -- and so it rarely happens. But I'm not sure there's any legal impediment to a lower court doing so.

If I'm right about this, the only reason -- and it's a pragmatic one, I think -- for a district court in the EDCal to treat the Newdow "holding" of the CTA9 panel as "binding" is if the next CTA9 panel would itself be bound, under CTA9 rules, to follow the earlier Newdow decision. For the reasons I've been trying to articulate in the paragraphs above and in my prior posts, I think the CTA9 ought to treat its prior Newdow opinion as "binding" on future panels, because that holding is not materially distinguishable from other CTA9 panel holdings -- e.g., those that are not appealed, those that are reversed on other grounds, etc. -- that are deemed binding on the next CTA9 panel. It was reached with the same care after complete briefing and argument; not reversed or called into question by the SCOTUS; etc. But "ought" isn't "is." The court of appeals could adopt a stare decisis rule that draws distinctions among its prior holdings that doesn'I appear to make any sense to me. I don't have the faintest idea whether, under internal CTA9 rules and/or practice, the Newdow decision will be binding on future CTA9 panels. If it is, then the district court probably should have followed it. If not, then there was no need for the district court to treat it as "binding." The answer to the question, however, depends entirely on the vagaries of the court of appeals' internal rules for binding future panels -- it can't be discerned from first principles, or from the Constitution.