The much better approach, I think, is to point out that religious views are, for these student groups, the same as feminist views for feminist student organizations, pro-Democratic party beliefs for student Democratic organizations, and pro-gay rights beliefs for pro-gay rights student organizations. Not to allow religious organizations to pick leaders who are religious is to outlaw such organizations, discriminatorily. If other campus organizations are permitted to choose leaders based on the leaders' beliefs (or based on their affiliation in the case of student political clubs), then religious organizations should be given the same freedom.

Mark S. Scarberry

Pepperdine University School of Law

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Jamar [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 7:47 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: are bylaws protected as a form of free speech--that is in the absence of standing? With Universities

How is adopting a core organizational  document that states official policy not an "action"?

On Oct 10, 2005, at 10:37 AM, Tim Kruse wrote:

are bylaws protected as a form of free speech--that is in the absence of standing? With Universities around the country going after the discriminatory clauses in religious group's bylaws or governing docs, could these groups argue that Universities may or may not have the right to prosecute their discriminatory actions but they can do nothing simple because of their governing documents?

Tim Kruse
Director of Development
St. Paul's University Catholic Center
723 State St. Madison, WI 53703
608-258-3140 (ext. 106) Office
608-345-8082 Cell
www.stpaulscc.org

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private.  Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.

--

Prof. Steven D. Jamar                               vox:  202-806-8017

Howard University School of Law                     fax:  202-806-8567

2900 Van Ness Street NW

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Washington, DC  20008   http://www.law.howard.edu/faculty/pages/jamar/

"In these words I can sum up everything I've learned about life:  It goes on."

Robert Frost