Harder to tell because the Chief wasn't an explicit about his
theory as Scalia was; but he did join Scalia's dissent, and the theory
of Scalia's dissent is that the historical sources that the Chief cites
support government endorsement of monotheism but not of Christianity.

        As to my own answer, I really am torn.  I find a nonendorsement
model of the Establishment Clause to be normatively appealing; but I
think it may indeed be too vague to be administrable, even if limited to
government speech, and I also think that Scalia's historical argument is
quite powerful.  But that will get us to the whole
originalism/traditionalism vs. living Constitution debate that few of
us, I suspect, have time for right now (I certainly don't).