1)  It's not clear what test would apply when the view
endorsement is really "secularist."  The Court has at times said that
expressing disapproval of religion is just as forbidden as expressing
endorsement, but it hasn't ruled on this.  I agree, though, that it's
unlikely to adopt a more stringent test as to secularist views, and that
it shouldn't apply such a more stringent test.

        2)  As I see it, the strongest Establishment Clause challenge
here is *not* that UC Berkeley is endorsing a "secularist" perspective
-- rather, that it's endorsing a certain interpretation of Christianity
and Judaism (as being consistent with evolution) over rival
interpretations of Christianity and Judaism.  That would be an
endorsement of a religious view, not a secularist one.

        3)  An observer in Pinette who knew the context would have
concluded that no government agency was endorsing Christianity, since it
was the Klan that put up the cross -- with no special preference from
the government -- and not the government.  The dissent's concern there
was that many observers would not know the facts, and would draw an
incorrect inference.

        Here, it seems to me that an observer who knew the context might
well conclude that UC Berkeley, or at least a department or institute
within it, was indeed endorsing one particular interpretation of
Christianity and Judaism.  There's nothing in the context, it seems to
me, that would undermine the most plausible interpretation of the text,
which is that the authors of the site are trying to suggest that the
pro-evolution interpretation of those religions is the better one (and
not just one possible one, or even the most popular one).

        4)  Lynch, of course, is a tougher matter; my sense is that it's
actually not consistent, despite the talking wishing well, with the
endorsement test as set forth in Allegheny.  Whether it survives
Allegheny, and what its survival means for other cases, is anyone's
guess.