Behavior is less protected than beliefs.  The group can believe whatever it wants to believe, but cannot exclude homosexuals or bisexuals by behavioral proxy even if their religious belief says to do so.  Or if they choose to so exclude them, then they cannot expect the government to support them if the government has a policy of non-discrimination against homosexuals.

As far as the slippery slope argument -- never been a fan of that one.  The question is not whether some undefined "others" would define godly behavior differently from a particular sect, but whether the state's definition of the limits of exclusion on the basis of status and behavior would apply to particular sects or whether they get an exception to the generally applicable neutral rule.

I am no fan of Smith, but it is the law still, I think.