Thanks for a very thoughtful post, Roman. Actually, I think a distinction between a school denying a student the opportunity to speak in class and a school disciplining a student for what he or she says may be constitutionally significant. Vik Amar and I have a piece in press for Green Bag that makes this very point in the context of restrictions on teacher speech. We suggest that School Boards have substantial discretionary authority to tell teachers what they can or can not say in the classroom, but they have to exercise that authority in advance. If a teacher says something in class that he or she has no reason to know is unacceptable speech, the principal or Board has to the power to prohibit her from continuing to express that message to her students. But they should not be able to discipline her for her initial comments. It is a kind of mixed due process/free speech analysis. Maybe the same analysis could apply to students.

Alan Brownstein

UC Davis

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Roman Storzer
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 4:55 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Alito and Religion

This is one of the most vexing free speech and, often, free exercise issues that I've had to deal with. I don't think that calling the activity "curricular" solves the problem, either, since extremes at either end of that spectrum also defy application of a general rule. If a child is placed in detention or otherwise suffers injury for bringing her stuffed donkey to show & tell because the teacher is a fervent Republican, would any on the list be hostile to a viewpoint discrimination claim? Alan's "discrimination," on the other hand, hardly seems actionable.

I'm on the side that would place the Oliva case in the former category ("read from your favorite book," which happens to be the Beginner's Bible). I wouldn't be surprised if a great deal of disagreement results from differing reactions to the actual harms suffered. Being denied the ability to proselytize or even merely speak might not seem to be as great of an injury as being expelled or placed in detention, but is the distinction constitutionally significant?

Roman Storzer