I don't recall any messages being posted in reply. After re-reading my
post from almost two years ago, the story came back to mind, as did the
questions. I doubt there are "answers" to all of the questions, but I
assume there are answers to some of them.

Perhaps your post will inspire some folks to toss in their ideas.
Interesting that there's still no Pa Supreme Court opinion.

Jim Maule

>>> "Stanley M. Shepp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/1/2005 2:59:45 PM

Hello Professor Maule (and other list members),

This is Stan Shepp of the Pennsylvania case involving Parent-Child
speech
and polygamy.

I just found your Dec. 10, 2003 post entitled "Speaking of Marriage"
(link
and text copied below) on the internet, but I could not find any
I was curious as to the outcome of any discussion that may have
developed
because of this case.  I am particularly interested in any case law or
arguments that might be of benefit to me if my case continues to the
US
Supreme Court.

I hope you remember the case.  To bring you up to date, we are still
waiting
for the PA Supreme Court to hand down their decision.

If you have any additional questions or comments, feel free to ask or
share.

Thanks!
ORIGINAL POST:

http://lists.ucla.edu/pipermail/religionlaw/2003-December/016153.html

Speaking of marriage... with one's children? There's at least an exam
question here, but I've added a bunch of my own.

Full story at
http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/12/08/polygamy.appeal.ap/index.html and
sufficient extracts follow to set up questions that follow the
extracts:

--------------------------------------------------------Begin Article
(Extracted)--------------------------------------------------------
Dad sues to teach daughter about polygamy
Stanley Shepp wants the right to teach his daughter about polygamy and
his religious beliefs.

HALLAM, Pennsylvania (AP) -- Tracey L. Roberts isn't trying to stop
her
ex-husband from voicing his support of polygamy, a belief that broke
up
their marriage. But she doesn't want him teaching their 10-year-old
daughter, Kaylynne, about the practice or exposing her to it in any
way.
She's won her point in a lower court but now her ex-husband, Stanley
M.
Shepp, has taken the case to the state Supreme Court.

"Religious discussion in the home between a parent and a child has got
to be the most sacred freedom-of-speech issue ever," Shepp said.

* * * * *
A judge in May 2002 granted Roberts and Shepp joint custody, saying
Kaylynne would continue being raised in the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints. But Common Pleas Judge Stephen P. Linebaugh
prohibited Shepp from "teaching (Kaylynne) about polygamy, plural
marriages, or multiple wives," at least until she is 18.

Shepp's belief in polygamy, Linebaugh wrote, "if he would follow
through with it, would be not only illegal in Pennsylvania, but would
also be immoral and illogical. The issue is not having such a belief,
but his interest in pursuing that belief, which the testimony
indicates
he clearly would."

* * * * *

Shepp said if he loses in the state Supreme Court, he will ask the
U.S.
Supreme Court to consider the case. Johns wrote that he was unable to
find a U.S. Supreme Court precedent directly addressing parent-child
religious speech in a custody case.

Pennsylvania's law against bigamy bars married people from entering
into an additional marriage. Among other things, Shepp's brief
contends
that taking a second wife in an informal "spiritual marriage," lacking
legal documentation, would not run afoul of the bigamy statute.

----------------------------------------------------End
Extracts------------------------------------------------------------

Questions that pop into my brain:

1. Can it be that there is no Supreme Court decision speaking to the
First Amendment (or privacy) protection of religious discussion
between
a parent and a child? Does the fact this is a custody matter permit
the
court to intrude where it otherwise would (or could) not, just as
Pennsylvania courts require divorced parents to pay for a child's
college education, an obligation not enforceable by a child of
non-divorced parents?

2. Even though the question of whether a state supreme court would
invalidate polygamy prohibitions won't be decided in this case,
because
the issue isn't Shepp's practice of polygamy, doesn't the assertion by
the trial judge that the illegality of polygamy contributes a
justification to the ban on Shepp's teaching it to his daugther raise
the issue indirectly? If so, would the court dismiss the appeal as to
that point as a matter of nonjusticiability?

3. Is the allegation that polygamy is immoral (is it, really?) an
acceptable basis for reaching the conclusion reached by the trial
judge?
If it is permissible to take morality or immorality into account,
whose
moral code is applied?

4. Why is polygamy illogical? (Just wondering. Unwise, perhaps (and
I'll leave out the jokes)).

5. If Shepp and his former wife had divorced because he was gay
(that's
not the reason for the divorce), could the court prohibit him from
discussing with his daughter (or a son) his views on the religious
aspects of "gay marriage"?

6. If two gay men adopt a child, and then split up, would it be
permissible for the court to prohibit them from explaining their
religious beliefs concerning marriage (including "gay marriage") to
the
child? Is it in the best interests of the child to leave the child
confused?

7. What am I missing in not understanding the argument that an
informal
"spiritual marriage" does not run afoul of the bigamy statute? Or is
it
that this case (in dicta) could indirectly  encourage the notion that
religious nuptials and civil marriage are different concepts totally
separate one from the other?

Well, have at it.

Jim Maule
Professor of Law, Villanova University School of Law
Villanova PA 19085
maule at law.villanova.edu
http://vls.law.vill.edu/prof/maule
President, TaxJEM Inc (computer assisted tax law instruction)
(www.taxjem.com)
Publisher, JEMBook Publishing Co. (www.jembook.com)
Owner/Developer, TaxCruncherPro (www.taxcruncherpro.com)
Maule Family Archivist & Genealogist (www.maulefamily.com)