-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 12:15 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Alito Views SCOTUS Doctrine as Giving Impression of
HostilitytoReligious Expression

        I suspect that Alito's response was in large part a reaction to two
cases that he heard on the Third Circuit:  Child Evangelism Fellowship of
New Jersey Inc. v. Stafford Tp. School Dist., 386 F.3d 514 (3rd Cir. 2004),
and C.H. v. Oliva, 226 F.3d 198 (3rd Cir. 2000).

        In both, the government's lawyers -- presumably not ones who are
easily duped by "unrelenting rhetoric we hear from the right" -- apparently
argued that the Establishment Clause required government entities to
discriminate against private religious speech (i.e., religious speech by
students or by private organizations, not religious speech by school
officials in their official capacity) in schools.  In Oliva, the lower court
seemed to at least partly endorse this view, though its comments are a
little cryptic.  (And of course in Oliva, the Third Circuit ultimately
concluded that the school was entitled to discriminate against the religious
speech, though it didn't hold that such discrimination was required.)  I
haven't read the briefs in those cases, but if I were the government lawyer
making that argument, I'd certainly have something to point to in the
Court's decisions -- for instance, the concurrences in Pinette, which seem
to suggest that the Establishment Clause sometimes may require
discrimination against private religious speech, and even the plurality in
Pinette, which says that compliance with the Establishment Clause is a
compelling interest justifying what would otherwise be a violation of the
Free Speech Clause (rather than that compliance with the Free Speech Clause
is an adequate justification for what would otherwise be a violation of the
Establishment Clause).

        My guess is that if Alito did say that the Court's doctrine "really
gives the impression of hostility to religious speech and religious
expression" and that "the court had erred by going too far in prohibiting
government support for religion at the risk of hampering individual
expression of religion" -- I say "if" because my sense is that it's hard to
be confident of the accuracy of such second-hand quotes -- he was likely
alluding to what he saw while participating in those cases:  The Court's
doctrine has created, among many government officials (as well as among
critics of those officials) an impression that private religious speech is
in some measure constitutionally disfavored, and that private religious
speech can be and perhaps must be subject to special restrictions.  And that
strikes me as quite a sensible criticism of the Court's doctrine, though of
course there are also quite sensible defenses of the Court's doctrine.