Title: Message

Let’s put this in context.  There are only certain religious groups that are attempting to convert other people.  That matters.  The reality is a dynamic of persistence and resistance.

From: Volokh, Eugene [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2005 3:29 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: non-disruptive speech ?

    Christians are completely entitled, under the First Amendment, to try to "rid the world of all Jews" (in the sense of people who are Jews by religion) through the process of persuading the Jews (and others) to become Christians.  I think it's also a perfectly legitimate goal, though one I disagree with (not being a Christian).

    Atheists are likewise completely entitled, under the First Amendment, to try to "rid the world of all Christians" through the process of persuading the Christians (and others) to stop believing in Christianity.  That too is a perfectly legitimate goal.  Likewise, atheists are completely entitled to try to "rid the world of all Jews" (in the sense of people who are Jews by religion) through the process of persuading the Jews (and others) to become atheists.  It's called trying to change people's minds, and it's at the heart of what the First Amendment is about.

    I would hope that both Christians and atheists try to resist attempted browbeating by people who want to unfairly tar them with negative labels such as "anti-Semite," labels that acquired their rightful sting from actions far different from simply trying to persuade Jews of the truth of this or that theological belief.

    I realize that people who strongly believe in some ideology -- whether it's Judaism, Christianity, atheism, liberalism, conservatism, or what have you -- might not want that ideology to become less popular, and might therefore lash out against those who are trying to persuade holders of that ideology to change views.  But that doesn't make the persuasion remotely improper; it just reflects the fact that people don't like their ideologies challenged.