Ed Brayton  wrote:
I fail to see how the institution of
marriage can be destroyed without having any actual marriage damaged in any
conceivable way. It's not going to do anything to any marriage that I'm
aware of. No one I know is going to leave their spouse if gay marriage is
legalized, or stop loving their kids, or choose not to get married. If
anyone's marriage is fragile enough that it can damaged by the prospect of
people they don't know being allowed to get married, there wasn't any hope
for that marriage in the first place. And without destroying any particular
marriage, how is the institution of marriage to be destroyed? I've never
seen a logical causal argument made here to support this kind of rhetoric; I
suspect I never will.

I don't oppose same-sex marriage. But I do understand the argument that same-sex marriage would "threaten" the "institution of marriage," particularly as that institution is understood in many (though, of course, not all) religious traditions. The issue is not whether any given marriage will be damaged, but rather whether the cultural meaning of the institution -- the set of purposes, expectations, and even cosmic meanings -- that are ascribed to it will shift in a way that will unavoidably spill over beyond the merely "secular" realm to religious communities as well. I think it's useful to think of the "institution of marriage" as being, at least in part, a piece of cultural capital in whose meaning various communities invest, and whose value as a bearer of meaning risks being "appropriated," so to speak, when the state radically changes the rules.

Consider two analogies: (1) Why do many American Indians object to the use of Indian names and mascots by sports teams, even when the names and mascots are not inherently offensive or insulting? One reason is that the appropriation of names and symbols such as "Braves" inevitably alters and dilutes the meaning of such names and symbols among Native Americans themselves. (2) Or consider the "pyrrhic victory" argument in Establishment Clause debates; that is to say, the argument (which I tend to support in lots of contexts) that governmental sponsorship of religious symbols such as creches or religious practices such as prayers threatens to debase and trivialize the genuine religious meaning of those symbols or practices. That is to say, creches and prayers, as pieces of "religious capital" and bearers of meaning, are altered, even in their private use, by their public misuse.

Now, of course, to understand the argument that same-sex marriage would "threaten" the "institution of marriage" as it is understood in many religious traditions is not to support that argument. If nothing else, filling in that argument would require a really detailed and careful account of the complicated relationship between marriage as a piece of "religious capital" and marriage as a civil institution. In any event, I don't think that religious objectors to same-sex marriage are entitled to any sort of veto in the contest over the meaning of marriage. But we should at least be willing to acknowledge that there is something genuine at issue here.

                                Perry

Perry Dane
Professor of Law

Rutgers University