-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bezanson,
Randall P
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2005 3:10 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: New Jersey Lawsuit

It comes from a general rule of nondiscrimination against religion in
general public programs -- Smith; Rosenberger; Locke v. Davey.  I think
one might think of the music case as a tye of limited public forum, but
Public Forum analysis is largely incoherent so I don't think I would
rely on it.  I don't think it matters that this is, in some sense,
"public" rather than private speech.  It's for a public occasion; I
don't think the choir members would really qualify as non-private
people; and I doubt that this would be considered government speech.  As
for the establishment clause justification for excluding religious
music, that seems (except for paying for and supporting the training of
ministers, which the State needn't do) pretty well disposed of
(admittedly in dicta) in Locke.  Do you think that the Washington
Scholarship program would have been sustained if it excluded religious
college students or students taking religious classes, in the name of
nonestablishment?  I think not.

But I am first to admit that precious little can be said with certainty
under the religious guarantees these days.

R. Bezanson

PS:  by the way, I'm a little bit troubled by the religious
sensitivities justification...