The excerpt below appears at p 44 of the ID cases slip onion .The judge, I think ,reads the disclaimer for more than it says ( I do no tread the disclaimer as saying that students cannot consider what id s taught in class or that they must accept their parents view)  and in any event the proposition that a school can not tell students that ultimate judgments about the correctness of what it has taught are not within its domain strikes me as wholly wrong. Am I wrong?

Marc D. Stern

Second, by directing students to their

families to learn about the “Origins of Life,” the paragraph performs the exact

same function as did the Freiler disclaimer: It “reminds school children that they

can rightly maintain beliefs taught by their parents on the subject of the origin of

life,” thereby stifling the critical thinking that the class’s study of evolutionary

theory might otherwise prompt, to protect a religious view from what the Board

considers to be a threat. Id. at 345 (because disclaimer effectively told students

“that evolution as taught in the classroom need not affect what they already know,”

it sent a message that was “contrary to an intent to encourage critical thinking….